Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How To Pick A Fish

I feel guilty whenever I sneak a snack that isn't particularly healthy, but I feel even more guilty when I get the monthly magazine that comes in association with my gym membership. Guilty because I receive that magazine more frequently than I actually attend the gym! I figure that if I read the magazine then I'll feel less guilty and that I'm actually using part of my membership...as I read while eating another of those snacks.
This months copy of "Experience Life" ran two great articles about sustainable fish. The decision to buy fish ethically, and support a more sustainable seafood industry just got easier due to a new free phone app from Monterey Bay Aquarium. Once you have chosen your location it then tells you which fish you can absolutely, always eat, and which fish fall into the no, never category. You can then look at in depth information about each fish, it's history, and why it is considered a good or bad choice to choose it.
The same magazine also reported on Greenpeace's third annual Carting Away the Oceans seafood-sustainability list. Supermarkets were rated on their sourcing, labeling and sustainability initiatives. Wegmans, a regional grocery chain in the mid-Atlantic topped the list. Whole Foods came in 3rd, Target was 4th, Walmart was 7th. Trader Joe's came in at 17th out of 20 due to the fact that it stocks several 'red list' endangered seafood items.

If you can, check out the phone app. It's very good, I'll definitely be using it next time I'm buying fish. I've got a number of food related apps on my phone but would welcome suggestions regarding new ones to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment